Sunday, August 12, 2018

First Post Costume College 2018 Sewing Project

Post CoCo 18 I felt kinda down about my sewing skills. My ballgown didn't turn out as I was wanted and I kept seeing these amazing creations that I couldn't duplicate. But then I remembered something Kate said at CoCo and she said we were each just at a different point in our development. So it was kind of funny that I started this apron when I got home from a piece of fabric I got at the Bargain Basement. It helped to pep me back up even though it's such a small project. I did sew it completely by hand.

The pattern from the apron came from the Workwoman's Guide  Plate 11 Figure 14


I used the bib measurements as they were because of the fabric I had left over from cutting the skirt and the waist band.  The ties of the apron ended up being as wide as the finished waistband which isn't how it's supposed to be but it works. The bib pins to the front of your dress so I'll be looking for HA pins in the near future. The leftover fabric will be used for a housewife or other small item. 



The Facts:The Challenge: Extant OriginalsWhat the item is: 1830’s / 1840’s Cooking Apron
Which extant original did you copy: Plate 11 Figure 14 of The Workwoman’s Guide by A Lady
Material: Checked Cotton
Pattern: Plate 11 Figure 14 of The Workwoman’s Guide by A Lady
Notions: Twill Tape Ties and Two Straight Pins
How historically accurate is it? I’d say 85%. I’m sure about my ties being the right size, or color and the Workwoman’s Guide assumes you know stuff we don’t now so the bib size may be out of proportion. Checked linen may also have been more appropriate than cotton but cotton is mentioned in other apron descriptions as being used.
Hours to complete: I think from thinking up the idea to completion is was about 4 hours. My hand sewing is slow.
First worn: Not yet. Have to finish an outfit to go with it.
Total cost: Free. The fabric was from the bargain basement at Costume College 18. The ties and thread were in the stash, so they cost something at some point but it is no longer remembered

No comments:

Post a Comment