Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Costume College 2018 ReCap

So plans were made and life intervened. Internship for my Master's kicked my butt so I didn't get nearly what I wanted done.

The Barn Owl dress for the pool party was completed first from Butterick 6483 by Gertie. The theme was in the Realm of the Goblin King. The bard owls are supposed to echo David Bowie character in the Labyrinth, Jareth, when he is spying on Sarah in "our" world at the beginning of the movie. Points go to the woman working the information desk Thursday night for being the only one for getting the reference without me having to explain.


Friday shifted gears to be 1890's Mountaineering outfit (minus Jacket) for all day. The 1913 dress continues to fight me and is again on the time out pile. I got to meet Kat from http://madamemodiste.blogspot.com/ and I jumped over the mountain that is my shyness to ask her to take a picture with me. There was a group who did a Victorian Adventure meetup that she was a part of so we matched in bloomers/split skirt. The boots are from American Duchess and were super comfy, the stockings are from her too. I used her tutorial to move the buttons which was way easier than I thought it would be.


Saturday daytime and Sunday were vintage with my Wearing History overalls and Simplicity reprint blouse for Saturday and a modern chambray blouse for Sunday. I met Lauren from Wearing history and she even took my picture! It was a nervous fangirl moment but she is lovely to talk with and even did a podcast on social anxiety that I found very reassuring. Pardon my geeky smile. The shoes were a thrift store find, they're Italian and also really comfortable.


Now the Ball Gown was sewn in a frenzy and it isn't where I wanted it to be so there is reworking to be done but here it is with all the finery (in the hotel hallway *FAIL* when there were pretty backdrops at the Gala Dinner). I bought tiara at the Marketplace the night before from https://ateliermela.net/


No through out the pictures I keep seeing that I really need to up my hair and accessories game. I did make my hat for my 1890's outfit but that was it really. 

Oh where are the pictures of all the lovely things I made for the boyfriend you ask? Well there aren't any. None. Zilch. Zap. I had no time to get anything done for him and boy did I have plans. However he did purchase a full sew of clothes (minus his frock coat) from http://www.holzer-combehaberdashery.com/ No pictures though as he is really picture shy.

I had lots of fun though and met more people this year that last thanks to Lauren (Wearing History) and Lauren & Abby (American Duchess for their podcasts on Social Anxiety and Costuming Events.



No comments:

Post a Comment