Monday, May 7, 2018

Tappity Tap Pants

For the Historical Sew Monthly Challenge for March:  Buttons and Fastenings I made a pair of 1930's tap pants. I used Simplicity Pattern 8510 and a few things surprised me. A: the yoke isn't really a yoke, it's an additional piece that is top stitched down. B: I flat felled all the inside seams by hand because I used linen and I didn't want it to fray. C: with the yoked version putting the buttons holes in was difficult because there were six layers of fabric to go through at some spots. If you used a thinner silk or rayon I'm sure this wouldn't be a problem. I used a zig zag stitch to do the buttonholes instead of a buttonhole stitch because my buttonhole doesn't like me. Abby posted (http://stay-ingalive.blogspot.com/2018/04/1880s-fundy-undies-petticoat-and-corset.html) about using a zig zag stitch instead of a button foot as well. I'm not sure about posting me wearing them but my Valentine's Bear was happy to pose for me.  




Just the Facts:

What the item is: 1930’s tap pants
Material: linen
Pattern:Simplicity Pattern 8510 Misses' Vintage Brassiere and Panties view B with the yoke
Year: 1930’s
Notions: 4 metal buttons
How historically accurate is it? I’d say 95%. It’s a mix of machine and hand sewing with zig zag button holes. I’m not sure linen would have been used for tap pants but they are comfortable
Hours to complete: Four evenings of sewing
First worn: just to check the button positions
Total cost: linen remnant was 8, buttons 2 and thread was in my stash so 10.50 with some linen left over for a small project.

No comments:

Post a Comment