Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Costume College 2017 Expectation vs. Reality

So Costume College 2017 has come and gone. Between graduate school and work I did not get anywhere near what I wanted done done or done the way I wanted. So lets go with expectations first

Thursday's Pool Party - 1880's Bathing suit
Friday - Jane Eyre Dress
Saturday - 1890's Mountain Dress during the day and 1913 Ballgown for Gala
Sunday- 1840's wrapper

The reality?
Thursday's Pool Party - 1880's Bathing suit with shoes but missing bathing cap
Friday - My 1560's Ravenclaw outfit but made an apron to add to the outfit
Saturday - My 1950's Brown sundress and a modern dress for the Gala
Sunday- 1840's wrapper hastily put together, the interior looks horrible and I didn't put any buttons on just used one snap and a belt to close it. This also doesn't include the 1/2 finished corded petticoat that still needs 6" of cording but was wearable for the event.

So what I have learned? Do not try to create 5 outfits all at once when only two share the same underwear. Corsets are hard and there is a reason why people buy them instead of make them. My hair for next year needs work as well as hats/caps. However I did have a wonderful time and learned lots of wonderful things from the amazing teachers. In the reality category I made and finished a 1840's shift, under petticoat and over petticoat, 1880's drawers and camisole, 1880's bathing suit with shoes, 1560's apron. I somewhat completed my 1840's corded petticoat and wrapper. I started 1840's stays and 1913 corset as well as a 1912's chemise. 

So what am I thinking for next year? Build off what I have including plans, fabric, and outfits.
Thursday Pool Party- I think I'm going to wait to see what the theme is for it
Friday Night Social- 1913 ballgown since I have the fabric and am determined to figure out the corset
Saturday-  Jane will happen and will be the outfit for Saturday during the day.The theme is Royalty so I'm going to channel Queen Victoria for the Gala with a 1840's Ball Gown, 
Sunday- The 1890's Mountain Dress is still on the table as well because I love the idea and plan on using Truly Victorian split skit pattern instead of the skirt that came with the pattern. 

These plans are apt to change except for the Gala gown and I still need something for Friday during the day. I am looking for inspiration and materials some of which I got at the marketplace and bargin basement this year.
My boots from American Duchess and a petticoat from an embroidered bed sheet!

No comments:

Post a Comment